Rev. September 26, 2012
Business Attraction, Retention & Expansion Committee
Pillar Committee of the Olds Institute; Standing Committee of the Olds and District Chamber of Commerce
Olds is a thriving, enterprising and sustainable business community that engages all sectors for a prosperous future.
The Business Attraction, Retention & Expansion Committee will be a catalyst for the Research, Development, Implementation and Evaluation of policies and programs that identifies opportunities and addresses concerns and barriers to the survival and growth of our business community.
Act with Integrity: knowledgeable & aware, honest, respect, openness Cooperation: collaboration, inclusive, non-judgmental, fair and equitable Ingenuity: creative, enterprising, flexible
Accountable: transparent, responsible, sustainable, confidential, invest
TERMS OF REFERENCE
Purpose: To Research, Develop, Implement and Evaluate policies and programs that identify opportunities and address concerns and barriers to the survival and growth of our business community in Olds and District, as well as make recommendations for the continued prosperity of our business community to the Olds Institute.
- The committee will consist of no fewer than 5 members and no more than 13 members, including the administrative team
- Members will be appointed by the Board of the Olds Institute.
- Members will be selected from the community of Olds and District.
- Committee Members will be selected based upon their willingness and ability to further the Vision, Mission, Values, Goals, Strategies and Action Plan of the committee.
- Members will serve a two year term, beginning October 1st. Half of the members will be appointed each September. In cases where a committee vacancy occurs an appointment may be made for the remaining period of an absent members term at the discretion of the appointer.
- Committee members will remain eligible to serve consecutive terms on the committee at the sole discretion of the appointer.
- The Chair shall be appointed by the committee, among a majority vote of the members of the committee.
- The chair acts as a facilitator to bring the group to consensus
- Vice Chairs may be appointed by the committee in the absence of a solely willing Chair, among a majority vote of the members of the committee.
- The Secretary shall be appointed by the committee, among a majority vote of the members of the committee.
- Financial oversight is provided by a member of the Committee who is appointed by the Committee for this purpose.
- The Administrative Team is appointed every September, for one year terms that begin on October 1st of each year.
- The Administrative team does not act as a decision-making body outside of the Committee
- Decisions will be made by building consensus
- Everyone has one vote, including the chair
- The committee shall meet no fewer than eight times per year and may meet as often as required to fulfill the goals of the committee.
- Quorum is determined as 50% of the appointed committee membership.
- The committee may meet in person or via the use of technology as long as a quorum is achieved and members are able to register their vote and enter into discussions equitably.
- Additional volunteers and advisors may be utilized as and when required.
- Sub-committees may be established at the discretion of the Committee. Actions and recommendations of Sub-committees must be ratified by the BARE Committee before considered the will of the BARE Committee.
- Sub-Committee members do not need to be members of the BAREE Committee
Resources Available to the Committee:
- The volunteer BARE committee is empowered to work within its funding allocations as provided by the OICRD and its essential members.
- The BARE Committee may utilize the staff and volunteer resources provided to them as stipulated and endorsed by the OICRD and its essential members.
- The BARE Committee may engage with the essential members of the OICRD, government, and non-governmental agencies to apply for grants and funding, upon approval by the OI. The contract manager for all grant money received will be the OI.
- Goals will be reviewed and determined on an annual basis through a strategic planning process, and will be supported by a Plan of Action that includes measurable outcomes.
- The BARE Committee is granted by the OI to have the authority to research, develop, implement and evaluate policies and programs that address concerns and barriers to the survival and growth of our business community of Olds and District.
- The BARE Committee shall make recommendations for the continued prosperity of our business community to the OICRD.
- The BARE Committee shall carry out the business of the Committee within the available resources.
Reports Required and Due Dates:
- The BARE Committee shall report to the OICRD at least 3 times a year, and as requested from time to time.
- Minutes of all meetings, and records of all activities and use of committee resources, shall be kept and made available to the OICRD upon request.
- An Annual budget shall be prepared and funding requested by October 1st for the following Calendar year to the OICRD.
- The BARE shall complete a self-evaluation process once a year, based on the strategic plan, and other assessment tools as needed, and report the results to the OICRD.
- The OICRD may conduct a performance evaluation of the BARE Committee once a year