Web Development encompasses the entire web process and will always involve a team of people to create a website that works for you and your clients. Typically a Web Designer will design the graphics and layout of your site and attempt to make it visually appealing to the viewer and then upload the website to a web hosting server.
The job of a Web Development Team is much broader and will most frequently be the difference between the success of a website and the failure of a website. The Web Development Team should provide all or most of the following functions:
- Concept and Planning
- Logical Navigation and Site Architecture
- Graphic Design Creation and Layout
- Content Copywriting to Market Ready Copy
- Website Coding and CSS functions
- Web Standards
- Customized Web Applications
- Integration of Design into Web Applications
- Database Construction and Coding
- Web Hosting, Server Selection and Web Security
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Analytics of the Website
- Marketing Strategy including paid ads and ad management services
- Updating of Web Content
- Demonstrated Ability in Mobile Web Applications
Always repeat ALWAYS look at the PORTFOLIO of the Web Development Team you are looking to do business with. You cannot expect them to create something different then what they already produce. If it looks like a lemon, smells like a lemon and tastes like a lemon … then it probably is a lemon and there is no use thinking it is somehow going to become an orange. However great looking designs only will not produce the results you are wanting in a successful website … all of the items listed above in combination make for a good web strategy.
Quick Questions for your prospective web developer:
- What are the procedures you follow in the concept and planning stages? Is there specific methodology or do they just “wing it”
- Do you develop your websites to web standards and do you test your sites against those standards such as W3C or W3C Mobile?
- Can I talk to some of your clients as references?
- How long have you been in business?
- How big is your team and what are their specialties?
- Do you have a marketing strategy team and how will they work with me?
- Do you provide copywriting services for market ready copy?
- Do you create websites that are Search Engine friendly?
- If I need ecommerce capabilities can you provide these services for me?
- Do you work with Payment Processors and can you help me with that process?
If you ask these questions and you are not comfortable with the answers … move on because in the end you will not be satisfied.
To find a Business Security Sales/Service company in Olds visit our online business and service directory at EverythingOlds.ca